Thursday, December 4, 2008

Service Orientation

My service orientation did not go well, and it was mostly my fault. I was having a very bad day. I was up until about 1:30 a.m. rewriting a paper that was due the next day. I had the paper finished at 10:00 the night before, only to have my computer crash and lose half the paper. Then I had my car break down, and I was late for both work and class. I was also stressing out over an assignment that I thought was due that day. I had it done, but really sloppily. The assignment turned out to be due the next week. But by the time I got to orientation I was an emotional mess. I just wanted to get all my volunteer hours lined up for the semester at the orientation. I was so frustrated the director didn’t have any information about upcoming volunteer opportunities besides Service Saturdays. I just wanted to plan out my semester. I guess I came across a little too strongly because the Director suggest that I might be happier with another volunteer organization. I was able to calm down and let the director know I would be a happy volunteer. I guess the moral of this story is: try not to bring the bad mood to orientation.

No comments: