Thursday, December 4, 2008

Spring Break Alternative

I had the opportunity to participate in a fund raiser for the student volunteer board. They were raising funds to finance “Spring Break Alternative.” Spring break Alternative is a chance for students to do volunteer work all over the world. Last year, they went to New Orleans and helped with the rebuilding efforts after hurricane Katrina. The year before that, they went to South America and put water filtration systems into low income areas. This is a great program for people who want to do volunteer work. You are required to put forty hours of volunteer time into the project during the week. I was helping to raise funds to keep the cost down for students who choose to participate. I thought it was a great cause and jumped at the opportunity to help.
However, when I discovered the details, I almost backed out. We were manning a concession stand at the Bronco stadium. I have a strong dislike of the service side of food service. I tried to work in an on-campus cafeteria when I started college and quickly decided it wasn’t for me. (And my employer agreed). To top it off, there were two football games that night. I like most sports, but I’m sick of football. I’m so tired of hearing about how great the BSU Broncos are. It makes me sick to see the media and everyone else kow-towing to the demi-gods of the football team. (I have no problems with the individual players; I’m sure that there must be at least one nice young man on the team). I didn’t think I could stand being around that atmosphere for four hours. The football games turned out to be high school games, so I felt a little better about being there. I still felt bad about serving overpriced concession food to the public. I just kept chanting to myself: “It’s only four hours and it's for a great cause.” So I was all ready to happily serve the public. Then they turned on the Fresno State/ BSU game on the Big screen TV. I almost ran for the hills. The only saving grace was it was an away game, so I didn’t have to look at that eye-sore of the blue turf. I was able to keep my cool and work an eight hour shift. At least we stayed just busy enough to make the time go fast and raised a lot of money for Spring Break Alternative.
http://vsb.boisestate.edu/programs/0506/springBreak.cfm

No comments: